- About West Seneca
- Arts & Leisure
- Rehabilitation Program
- Community Events
- Community Interests
- Erie County Emergency Solutions Grant Program
- Land Use
- Leaf Collection
- Paying Taxes
- Public Safety
- Report a Problem
- Senior Citizen Center
- Voter Registration
- Contact Us
- Supervisor & Council
- Town Board
- Town Board Agendas
- Town Board Minutes
- Town Board Calendar
- Town Codes
- Planning Board
- Planning Board Agendas/Minutes
- Zoning Board of Appeals
- Zoning Board of Appeals Agendas
- Zoning Board of Appeals Minutes
- Comprehensive Plan
- Industrial Park Review Committee
- Departments & Services
- Code Enforcement
- Finance Office
- Environmental Commission
- Ethics Committee
- Town Clerk
- Town Attorney
- Public Safety
- Public Works
- Tax Office
- Town Court
- Town Facilities
- Senior Citizen Center
- Services A-Z
- Youth Engaged in Service (Y.E.S.)
- Youth & Recreation
- News & Events
Environmental Commission Meeting Minutes 04/27/2010
W. SENECA ENVIRONMENTAL COMMISSION MEETING MINUTES
Burchfield Nature and Arts Center
2001 Union Road, West Seneca Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 7:00 PM
- CALL TO ORDER - 7:03 PM
Present: Rick Rutkowski (RR), Gary Oosterhoudt (GO), Evelyn Hicks (EH), AI Kerner
(AK), George Rocky (GR), Dave Monolopolus (OM), Sheila Meegan (SM)
Absent: Paula Olma, Joyce Mallette
- ADMINISTRATIVE ACTIVITIES
1. The February 2010 meeting minutes were distributed, reviewed, and accepted
(AK), second (EH) - SM will have minutes posted on the Town's web site.
2. Treasurer's report: not available, because the Treasurer (JM) is absent from the
meeting. AK reports that T shirts and golf shirts have not yet been procured.
Treasurer's report is expected at next month's meeting.
3. Reappointments to the Commission - new members (GR, OM) have been
appointed, existing members have been reappointed to the Commission. Les
Loucks and Ferrol Webb are no longer Commission members.
4. Office Space - the WSEC would like to acquire office space at the Burchfield
Center, if available - If available, we will discontinue pursuit of office space at the
- DISCUSSION - 2010 WSEC PROJECTS
1. Hi View Terrace - SM has no new information re: the WQIP grant award that the Town
submitted for this Project (for sanitary sewer connection) - she will follow up with the
Town's grant writer (Connie Miner) conceming that matter.
2. Leydecker Rd. Access Point - AK advised that the pUblic access sign has been installed
at the Creek Access Point. Hoping to do some cleanup of ditch area when the weather
cooperates and intend to install additional informational signage at the site.
3. Oxbow Property - on March 24, a reception was held for the Jacobs family at the
Burchfield Center in honor of their land donation to the Town ofW. Seneca .,..the
Protecting West Seneca's Natural Heritage booklet was distributed - special thanks to
the Market in the Square for providing refreshments.
On April 22, (Earth Day) EH, RR, OM assisted Riverkeeper and ERIE student volunteers in efforts to
remove invasive species and to plant vegetation in the oxbow. This event was a great success. 23
volunteers cleared knotweed, planted 2 gardens on berm to mark Town Property. Cleared knotweed
on 3 sites in meadow. Planted silky dogwood at one site (around buttonwood tree), planted various
plants at one other site, cleared knotweed in thicket of trees at third site. Also, cut willow branches
from a fallen tree which were then planted nearby and seem to have taken hold.
Working on developing a long term management plan for the oxbow property. DEC wants to have a
meeting sometime next week to further discuss. There is a lot of thick knotweed that will not be able
to be dug out and will probably have to be treated with an herbicide. DEC wishes to discuss.
We (WS Env. Comm.) should plan a day in May/June to visit the site, especially since we are the
stewards of the property. Everyone on WS Env. Comm. should be familiar with the site.
4. Library Display - photos of the oxbow, poster to be put into the library on May 1.
5. Town ofWS Solar energy projects - RR reports that the contractor advised that solar
panels have been installed at the Town highway garage, the Town hall and at the
Senior Center. Contractor had provided photos, which will be added to the library
• Parcel at East and West Rd and Orchard Park Rd - grant Application $25,000.00 for butterfly
houses, etc. - Sheila Meegan to report. Interest also in Town owned Parcel at Orchard Park
Rd near Ridge Rd - Public Access
• Parcel at Borden Rd and Clinton St - Conservation easement?
• 1200 East and West Rd - letter from the WS Environmental Commission to be drafted with the
intent to send to New York State requesting that they transfer ownership of the site to the Town
of West Seneca.
• Federal Dept of Energy/Erie County grant - the commission members are in favor of the grant
being executed as originally intended. Concerning the Erie County Department of Energy
Grant - $2.9M allocated to County for Energy initiatives. Legislature approved allocation of
funds for energy projects and recycling initiatives, specifically the food composting start-up
program. County Executive re-appropriated all funds to energy improvements to the Rath
Bldg., cutting the other projects and resulting in the termination of two County workers in the
DEP. One additional employee is likely to be terminated, also. Several people on the Erie
Co. Env. Comm want to take action opposing this move. Rick R may be able to shed more
light on this, but we need to discuss.
• Houghton College property: EH went to the DEC on Friday, April 16, spoke with Steve Doleski
(Permits Officer) and Chuck Rosenburg - no paperwork available re: Houghton College
Campus, but I was advised that DEC is sending a five-page letter to the lead agency (WS
Planning Board). We can get a copy of letter from WS Town Clerk when it is received. DEC
advised of a possible wetland on the campus proper. Also advised of a question with Native
American and other artifacts and historical significance of site. Most troubling is the problem
with sewer dist 13, under consent order from DEC. EH also spoke with Drew Reilley of Wendel
Duscherer on 4/26. Drew advised that there may be a Positive Declaration of significance on
the site (under SEQR), requiring an EIS which is a more comprehensive review of
environmental factors concerning the development of the site. This would be a possible "next
step" in the SEQR process.
• Edbauer Construction - on Clinton Street across from CHS, next to the Roofer's Union.
Project has turned into a much larger project than originally stated. Not appropriate to the site
- should be relocated, possibly to OakGrove property on Mineral Springs Rd. 20 acres for
sale - where WalMart was to go. Review letter sent to Planning Board - need to discuss next
1. Thursday, April 29, 2010 - Need someone to attend Buffalo River Restoration Projects 6
. - 8 pm at the Old First Ward Community Center. 62 Republic St., Bflo. Someone from
WS Env. Comm. should try to attend.
2. EPA is looking for comments on Bflo River Dredging - due soon, information online.
Meeting adjourned - 9:00 P.M.